A course designed as the next step in navigation training following on from Introduction to navigation skills
- National Grid, Four-Figure grid reference, Six Figure grid references
- Introduce the Compass
The importance of planning and preparation
- A photocopy of a map with marked route
- Route card showing the required elements
- Use of route card in emergencies but also as a risk assessment document.
Pacing and Timing
A more accurate way of gauging distance travelled
- Pacing exercise – find your own personal pace count per 100 metres
- Pacing variation and underfoot terrain, vegetation, broken ground, and slope
- Measuring distances on maps
- Nasmith’s Rule
- Timing calculations
To further build on map-reading, contour recognition and more accurate means of measuring the distance from the map and on the ground.
- The ground beneath our feet and all around us – feature recognition