Emergency Procedures 1 –Mountain Hypothermia
What is mountain hypothermia and give a brief outline of its prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- Causes – environmental, individual
- Signs and symptoms
- Treatment – early, ongoing
- Other common ailments: sprains, blisters, fatigue, etc.
Emergency Procedures 2 – Mountain Rescue
- Procedures in the case of a mountain accident.
- Mountain rescue in Ireland
- Accident procedure
- Plan of action
- Call-out procedure
- Role of the Rescue Helicopters, SARDA
Hillwalk- Steep/Broken Ground
Exploring more rugged terrain. Our abilities and limitations to remain at all times in full control of the situation.
- Safe movement in ascent and descent
- Movement skills and technique
- Advance planning, Route finding, maps etc.
- Movement of a group
- Hazards, problems of loose rock and other objective dangers
- Route choice, in more complex terrain where ridges or valleys must be crossed
- Following a clear process.
- Slope aspect
- Transit lines.
Night Navigation/Poor Weather Exercise
- Leap frogging
- Navigation in poor or zero visibility.
- Added impact of poor weather
- Equipment selection and handling